[aix thinkpad] IBM Thinkpad PowerSeries 820

Juergen E. Fischer fischer at linux-buechse.de
Sun May 30 11:19:53 CDT 2004

Stefan,

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 15:34:38 +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> > Oh, without a CD-ROM drive I would have been lost anyway.  Now, I
> > just ran out of CD-Rs as it refuses to read CD-RWs.

> Well, I connected an external CD-ROM (thanks to SCSI) to do the
> installation etc. For playing around with Linux I used a Fujitsu MO
> drive, in HDD mode one may even boot from it (using 512Byte/sector
> media).

Thanks, good idea.  I'll hook up a CD-ROM that reads CD-RW.

> > (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11150&item=4134413060).

> Hm, looks interesting...ACARD also had one, but it looks like it's no
> longer being produced. How much are the shipping costs for that thing?

$25

> Judging from the auction's picture, the connector in front is the SCSI
> connector, with pin 17 cut and the 8 rightmost pins are for ID
> setting. In IBMs adaptor box, this is connected using one single 50
> pin connector. I have no idea what happens to the ID lines, they're
> probably left open. There also exists a frame for a second hard drive
> to be mounted in place of the CD-ROM and it has some dip switches,
> most probably for setting the SCSI ID. It would make sense to have the
> ID jumpers on that 60 pin connector available then.

Can you take pictures? ;)

Perhaps they are using SCAM to assign the ID and perhaps also for the
termination - which might be another problem to come.

> I guess the hard thing now is getting the correct connectors (or an
> empty hard drive box).

So far I've read that the 60pin connector was originally in drafts of
the SCSI spec, but was dropped eventually.

I can't find the plug anywhere yet.  I looked for a micro centronics 60
pin connector.  But I'm not sure, if that's correct.

> But for Linux you may use ordinary PC PCMCIA cards...

Exactly.

Juergen