[aix thinkpad] Boot from CD-ROM

Stefan Tibus sjti at gmx.net
Sat Jun 5 12:56:54 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I want to make an update to the story about CD-ROMs with support
for booting an RS/6000. I have some drives I used for a long
time already to install AIX and recently I tried some other models
I had laying around.

- Plextor drives are said to work, myself I often used:
  PX-12TSi
  PX-20TSi
  with several older machines (7012-320H, 7011-250, 7006-41W, 7007-N40,
  TP 7249-860).
- Drives I tested to work on a 7006-41W/-410:
  Toshiba XM-5701B
  Toshiba XM-6201B
  Sony CDU-561SC
- Some Toshiba drive (don't remember the model) did not work with the
  320H at least.
- IBM itself sold Toshiba and Plextor drives like the Toshiba XM-3401BMA
  in the external case 7210-005 (and in the 7030-3BT ?) and Plextor in the
  7043-140 (UltraPlex PX-32?)
- In general the problem was not to read CDs but boot. The main point was
  for the drive to support a 512B/sector mode in order for the machine
  to boot. (there were discussion on news:comp.unix.aix about this)

cu,
Stefan

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router für alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl