[aix thinkpad] help a new AIXer

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed May 28 14:01:20 CDT 2003

On 28 May, Federico Lucifredi wrote:
> Trevor,
>     If I did a brute reinstall, do you think my aix 4.2.1 cds might not be
> enough to reinstall ? is that your concern ?

Not really.  I always work under the impression (with AIX) that a
salvage is better than a reinstall.  But if you don't care about the
current install then wipe it and start fresh.  You should have at least
2 CD's for 4.2.1, and maybe a bonus CD.  You'll want to make sure you
have UMS.* somewhere.  Remember, IBM doesn't let you download missing
filesets, and you can't fixdist them without the original .0 fileset
from the CD.

Try having your NIC installed when you reinstall... that might allow CDE
to behave better when it starts.

Good luck!

(PS: just email the list, no need to cc: or to: to me directly)